Home Page About our School Recent Events Contact Us Nursery Our school is committed to safeguarding

At the bottom of many pages there are puzzles for you to do. There are picture clues to the titles of childrens’ books.  All these books are in the school library.   Here’s an easy one to start you off:-

Good Luck!

Anagrams

If you’re really clever you can have a go at the anagrams. An anagram is a set of words where the letters are mixed up. They are at the bottom of many pages and they are the titles to childrens’ books.  All these books are in the school library. They are written in

GOLD LETTERS

So

LILAC HOARD LANE

is

Charlie and Lola

This Week in History

Every week we will tell you about some events which happened many years ago on this week.

1988 The Bank of England pound note, first introduced on 12th March 1797, ceased to be legal tender in Britain at midnight. When the deadline for returning old notes was reached, it was estimated that some 70 million were still outstanding.


2014 Dozens of firefighters were called out to deal with a blaze .... at a fire station. The retained fire crew at Downham Market in Norfolk could do nothing, because their own fire engine was caught up in the blaze that started in their own building.



1994 The Church of England ordained the first women priests (32 in total) at Bristol Cathedral.  It was a further 21 years before the first female Church of England bishop was appointed - (the Rt. Rev. Libby Lane).


2013 The people of the Falkland Islands voted overwhelmingly in favour of remaining a UK overseas territory. Of 1,517 votes cast in the two-day referendum - on a turnout of more than 90% - 1,513 were in favour, while just three votes were against


2015 Two of Blackpool’s historic piers (Blackpool Central  and Blackpool South), together with Llandudno pier  the longest pier in Wales at almost 2,300 feet long, were put up for sale by Cuerden Leisure. Guide prices were £4.8M, £3.3M and £4.5M respectively


1927 The lance ceased to be an official weapon in the British Army.


1935 Voluntary driving tests were introduced in Britain and became compulsory in June of the same year.


1961 Black and white Bank of England five pound notes ceased to be legal tender.


2015 Lesley Simpson became the first female Guizer Jarl (chief Viking) in the 130-year history of Shetland's world famous fire festivals. The event is one of several Viking-themed torchlit processions that are held on Shetland every year.


1960 Jodrell Bank's radio telescope in Cheshire  set a new record, making contact with the American Pioneer V satellite at a distance of 407,000 miles. The previous record was 290,000 miles.


1961 The New English Bible was published.


2014 Thieves who had built a 50ft (15m) tunnel to a cash machine on Liverpool Road, Eccles, got away with more than £80,000. The complex nature of its structure could have taken months to excavate and echoes a similar raid in Fallowfield Shopping Precinct in January 2012. Police said they were looking for 'people acting suspiciously, possibly covered in soil.'


2015 Britain's biggest ever cruise ship, the 141,000-ton Britannia, (which was officially named by Her Majesty The Queen in Southampton) set off on its maiden voyage; a 14 night cruise around the Mediterranean.


1909 Selfridges store (named after its owner Harry Gordon Selfridge) was opened in London's Oxford Street. In September 1997 they opened their first store outside London when the Trafford Centre (Manchester) opened.


1949 Clothes rationing, which had been introduced during the 2nd World War, was ended.


2014 The death of TV Cook Clarissa Dickson Wright, at the age of 66. Christened Clarissa Theresa Philomena Aileen Mary Josephine Agnes Elsie Trilby Louise Esmerelda Dickson Wright, she became famous as one half of 'The Two Fat Ladies'. Wright and the late Jennifer Paterson travelled the country on a Triumph Thunderbird motorcycle and sidecar and would prepare meals for members of the public. A former barrister, Clarissa Dickson Wright was, until 2013 the youngest woman ever to be called to the Bar, passing her exams aged 21


1935 The first driving test pass slip was presented to Mr. R. Beene of Kensington, a pupil of the British School of Motoring. Tests were introduced on a voluntary basis and became compulsory in June.


1973 Queen Elizabeth II opened the new London Bridge. The old one was sold to an American oil tycoon for £1m and transported to the United States.


1951 The comic strip character Dennis the Menace appeared for the first time.


1984 The 130th Boat Race was postponed (for 24 hours) an hour before the start, after the Cambridge boat was in collision with a barge and sank.


2015 The UK's first Bio-Bus, nicknamed 'the poo bus' was officially launched in Bristol as Service Number 2. Powered entirely on gas generated by human and food waste it went into regular service on 25th March.


Every week we will tell you about a building or monument









This week has been National Science week and we have had lots of fun investigating, building and testing difference experiments and challenges. Take a look at our Recent events page for more information and photos.

Find us on Facebook! We will keep our page up to

date with events and to see what we have been

getting up to.  Click on the Facebook logo.

Our Mission, ethos and values (link)

Quarry Bank Mill


Quarry Bank Mill in Styal, Cheshire, England, is one of the best preserved textile mills of the Industrial Revolution and is now a museum of the cotton industry. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building, and inspired the 2013 television series The Mill.


Quarry Bank Mill is on the outskirts of Styal in Cheshire, abutting and to the south of Manchester Airport. The mill is on the bank of the River Bollin which provided water to power the waterwheels. It was connected by road to the Bridgewater Canal for transporting raw cotton from the port of Liverpool. The site consisted of three farms or folds.

The mill's iron water wheel, the fourth to be installed, was designed by Thomas Hewes and built between 1816 and 1820. Overhead shafts above the machines were attached to the water wheel by a belt. When the wheel turned, the motion moved the belt and powered the machinery. A beam engine and a horizontal steam engine were subsequently installed to supplement the power. The Hewes wheel broke in 1904 but the River Bollin continued to power the mill through two water turbines. The mill owners bought a Boulton and Watt steam engine in 1810 and a few years later purchased another because the river's water level was low in summer and could interrupt production of cloth during some years. Steam engines could produce power all year round. Today the mill houses the most powerful working waterwheel in Europe, an iron wheel moved from Glasshouses Mill at Pateley Bridge designed by Sir William Fairbairn who had been Hewes' apprentice.


The estate surrounding the mill was developed and Greg converted farm buildings in Styal to house workers. As the mill increased in size, housing was constructed for the workers.  A chapel and a school were built by the Gregs who moved into Quarry Bank House next to the mill.


Quarry Bank is an example of an early, rural, cotton-spinning mill that was initially dependent on water power. The first mill was built by Samuel Greg and John Massey in 1784. Its design was functional and unadorned, growing out of the pragmatism of the men who felt no need to make a bold architectural statement. It was a four-storey mill measuring 8.5 metres (28 ft) by 27.5 metres (90 ft), with an attached staircase, counting house and warehouse. It was designed to use water frames which had just come out of patent, and the increased supply of cotton caused by the cessation of the American War of Independence. The water wheel was at the north end of the mill.